Sunday, December 12, 2010

Finals

Finals, oh how I loathe you.
But I understand you're unfortunately necessary (I guess).





Here I am, stuck in Evan's library... I've re-read the same information 6 million times it seems like, and each time I am faced with the unfortunate fact that this stuff isn't sticking like it should. Naturally that means I need to take a 'study break'.

So amid the facebook creeping, twitter updates, and shabbyapple.com browsing, I am spending a great deal of time reflecting upon this morning’s message in church. Today, we talked about 1Peter 5:1-12.

For those unfamiliar with the verse, it is all about humility. Be humble in all that you do. "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (1Peter 5:5)

It speaks of the Lord rewarding those who don't give into the temptations of the devil, for the devil prowls like a lion. He searches for those who are weak and weary. We are all subject to it; it just comes down to who can stand in the faith. Be the Salt and the Light to the world that everyone should be.

I think this was an awesome subject to cover 1. During finals! Don't give in and say 'no, I'm not going to study, I'm just going to fail anyways.' I struggle with this with one class in particular (funny, the one I’m currently in the library studying for!) It's hard to read fact after fact knowing that you're never going to use this information a day in your life after you hand in that final, BUT you are responsible for knowing that information for the time being! BE BIGGER THAN YOUR TEST! This is something that I constantly have to remind myself of. I am so thankful my professor is a man of God and I can say to him 'this class is causing me struggles not only with my grades, but with giving into temptation by the devil... and he understands! Such a blessing to me this semester! And 2. Right before we all return home for a month where you may be subject to slip into habits of being home, friends, pressures, problems of all kinds. I know when I go home things are easier, I may not be in prayer as constant as I am at home, or I feel more tempted to slip-up in other areas of your life. Put your foot down and say no, stay rooted in Christ and although it may not be as easy, and you may suffer, it is worth it, stay humble and bear that name with honor. (1 Peter 4:16-17)

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for YOU." (1Peter 5:6-7)

I wish everyone luck on your finals, and I hope you finish the semester with all A's!





Photo cred: onwardstate.com


No comments:

Post a Comment